Southern locomotive 21C146 entered service in November 1946 having been built to Bulleid’s air-smoothed ‘Light Pacific’ design. From new the locomotive was allocated to the Exmouth Junction Shed where it remained until moving to Sailsbury in May 1951 and Brighton the following month. Under British Railways the locomotive was renumbered 34046. In January 1959 the locomotive was rebuilt to a more conventional design along with many other members of the ‘West Country’ Class.
After re-entering service ‘Braunton’ was re-allocated to Bournemouth and remained there until being withdrawn from service in late 1965. Like many Southern locomotives scrappage was supposed to take place at Barry Scrapyard, however having stood there for many years the locomotive was selected for preservation, being returned to steam in 2007 after an extensive overhaul.